MERSIN PORT AUTHORITY CONTROL DEPARTMENT
Address: TCDD Liman İşletmesi Kontrol Müdürlüğü-Mersin- TURKEY
Phone : +90 324 238 25 30
Fax : +90 324 238 25 31
Latitude: 36° 46' 20" N
Longitude: 34° 39' 00" E
HISTORY OF PORT
Along with the start for the construction of Suez Channel in Egypt, Mersin started to gain more importance as a port. The transportation activities gathered pace within the framework of the natural harbor in 1890s and a need for the construction of new piers occurred. In 1915, 20 to 25 ferries and sailboats could approach to Mersin port per day.
A company was established by name of “Mersin Port Affairs Monopoly Turkish Joint Stock Company” as an experienced port management was needed due to rapid increase in the sea trade on the date of 29 August, 1927. In 1942, the company was transferred to the government with a liquidation decision. It was transferred to General Directorate of State Railways and Ports in accordance with the modified Article 6 of Turkish National Security Law.
The construction of Mersin Port was started on 3 May, 1954 in a modern and protected way, and the construction was carried out by the Royal Dutch Port Construction Company. The port which was reconstructed with all of its facilities started operations in a modern way in 1962.
Mersin Port, operated by our Enterprise, was taken into the scope of privatization through “Transfer of Operational Rights” method with Decision of High Board of Privatization dated 30.12.2004 and No. 2004/128 and it was transferred to PSA - Akfen Joint Venture Group winning the tender for 36 years with an amount of 755,000,000 USD.
The Port continues its activities under the title of Mersin Uluslararası Liman İşletmeciliği A.Ş. (MIP) (Mersin International Port Management JSC).
TCDD performs its control and supervision duties and authorities given within the framework of the concerned provisions of the Concession Agreement on Transfer of Operational Rights by means of TCDD Mersin Port Authority Control Department.